The COVID-19 pandemic has devastated the nation’s economy in ways not seen in generations. That devastation now directly threatens the freight railcar manufacturing and supply industry, jeopardizing as many as 65,000 American jobs and $6.5 billion in annual GDP across all 50 states.
The Freight Rail Assistance & Investment to Launch Coronavirus-era Activity & Recovery Act (Freight RAILCAR Act) would provide tax credits to encourage the replacement or modernization of North America’s freight railcar fleet with higher capacity, more fuel-efficient vehicles, and to stabilize jobs in the railcar manufacturing and modification industry in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Relevant Materials and Media
- Freight RAILCAR Act Bill Text
- RSA Freight RAILCAR Act Press Release (8/24/20)
- Freight RAILCAR Act What It Does One-Pager
- Freight RAILCAR Act Slide Deck
- Why is the Freight RAILCAR Act needed?
- Freight RAILCAR Act Dear Colleague
- Freight RAILCAR Act Letter of Support
- Recent Media
- Congressman Brad Schneider Press Release: Reps. Reps. Schneider, LaHood Announce Introduction of Bipartisan Legislation to Support U.S. Freight Railcar Manufacturing and Sustain Jobs (8/24/20)
- Transportation Today: Reps. LaHood, Schneider introduced legislation to support railcar manufacturers, workers (8/26/20)
- Freight Waves: Bipartisan legislators unveil bill aimed at helping railcar manufacturers (8/25/20)
- Railway Age: Freight RAILCAR Act Introduced (8/24/20)
- Progressive Railroading: Bill would offer tax credits for freight rail-car investment (8/24/20)
- RSA Press Release: U.S. Rail, Manufacturing and Supply Groups Support The Freight RAILCAR Act (9/29/20)